1. The National Core Carbon Registry
The Core Registry provides national-level registry infrastructure enabling member countries to issue digital carbon assets. Users can manually upload projects and units' data in sync with the World Bank's Climate Warehouse Metadata layer.
The public blockchain enables inclusiveness, accountability (decentralized governance and peer-to-peer support), transparency (fully auditable record of transactions) and integrity (fully immutable, traceable and interoperable).
- Information about projects and issued units is published in a publicly viewable and auditable manner
- Tokenization of issued digital climate assets
- Automated recording of retirements detected on-chain in the CADT
- Disable detokenization for digitally native climate assets
The Core Registry is currently comprised of two main applications:
- The Climate Action Development Trust (CADT), which will enable market participants to record data about projects and issued units
- The Native Tokenization Engine (NTE) enables the issuance of tradeable instruments based on CADT data
- Additional modules will be added to expand functionality
The Core Registry aims to provide a seamless solution for registry admins to issue digital carbon assets.
Core Registry Specific Components:
Tokenization components used by Core Registry:
2. The National Enhanced Carbon Registry
The Enhanced Registry, developed under the World Bank’s Partnership for Market Implementation (PMI) program, provides national-level registry infrastructure enabling member countries to issue digital carbon assets. Users can manually upload projects and units' data in sync with the World Bank's Climate Warehouse Metadata layer.
This Registry expands upon the functionalities of the Core Registry and is also built on open-source software but does not use DLT. In addition to the core functions, the Enhanced Registry allows tracking of project workstreams, creation of project types and methodologies, and linking to greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory systems.
- Add, edit, and remove emission reduction (ER) projects
- Issue ERs to projects
- Retire, cancel, transfer issued ERs
- Have multiple accounts to allow for ERC buyers to have an account in the country registry
- Track and manage project and unit verification process
- Create new project types with underlying methodologies
- Link registry to GHG inventory systems and key parameters (Grid Emission Factor, Non-Renewable Biomass fraction)
- Automatically generate reports on emission reduction projects